If you have been practicing yoga for some time you must be aware of the importance of breathing while doing the asanas. Breathing not only rids your body of toxins it also helps deepen your yoga practice and release the pent-up energy in different parts of the body. It is a reason why the art of Pranayama is an important aspect of the eight limbs of yoga.
The word Pranayama is broken down into two parts namely Prana that is the sacred life force energy, and Yama that refers to restraint. When combined, this word means life force control or controlling your breath. Enrolling in Yoga Alliance certified schools helps you understand how this breathing technique can maximize the benefits of yoga practice.
Let us now understand the major breathing techniques that help you deepen the yoga practice.
4 Breathing Techniques For A Proper Warm-Up
Breathing is something you do every day without break. However, paying a little more attention to your breathing helps you relieve stress and rejuvenate the nervous system. Keeping that in mind, there are 4 breathing techniques that help you warm-up before a yoga practice.
This is a simple breathing in and out exercise. You have to visualize a box and breathe in equal increment. It offers your mind much-needed relief from everyday stress and is beneficial in therapeutic settings.
Steps To Box Breathing
- Find someplace comfortable to sit.
- Rest your palms on your thighs or torso.
- Inhale with deep breaths to prepare. Inhale to the count of four.
- Hold your breath and count to four.
- Exhale for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a little time and relax.
Wim Hof Breath
Founded by the Dutch extreme athlete Wim Hof, this is the best breathing technique to improve your health and overall yoga practice. The main focus of this technique is on your breathing despite the number of exhale and inhales.
Steps To Wim Hof
- Find a comfortable seat.
- Keep your palms on your thighs.
- Inhale and exhale fully.
- Make a full circle from an inhale to exhale. Come back to the next inhale.
- Repeat this exercise at least 30 to 40 times for maximum effect.
- Hold your breath for some time and relax.
Note: You can try doing some push-ups while retaining your breath in this technique.
Twisting With Breath
You do the Twisting With Breath technique while standing. It stimulates the circulation of blood to your limbs and is beneficial for treating cold hands and feet. You can learn this technique by enrolling in yoga teacher training in India.
Steps To Twisting With Breath
- Stand and keep your feet apart. Keep them apart a little wider than hip-width apart.
- Inhale some deep breaths to prepare.
- Extend your arms by the side of your body. Do not hit anything while you are doing this.
- Twist slowly and let your arms fly.
- Slowly increase the speed of your movement to feel a little warm.
- You can let your hands slap your shoulders, lower back, and chest while continuing the flying motion.
- Let your breathing be normal.
- Inhale at your center and exhale while twisting.
- Keep your feet planted. Lift your heels when twisting from one side to the other.
- Continue this for one to two minutes.
- Rest your hands by your sides.
Ujjayi breathing technique is common when you learn Hatha or Vinyasa yoga. It warms your body from the inside out without letting your mind wander even for a minute. This is an energizing breathing technique you can learn from the best Yoga Alliance certified schools in India.
Steps To Ujjayi Breath
- Come to a comfortable position, it can be sitting, standing, or even reclining.
- Keep your hands by your body’s side or near the torso.
- Inhale deeply to get centered and prepare.
- Close your lips tightly. Keep your teeth separate.
- Keep your tongue behind your front teeth.
- Inhale through your nose. Try making a soft wheezing noise from your throat.
- Exhale from your nose. Maintain this wheezing sound as you push all air out.
- Pull your navel towards your abdomen to push out the remaining air.
- Engage your abdomen as long as you are comfortable.
Breathing exercises form an important part of the yoga practice. These provide your body and mind with much-needed rest. You should enroll in Yoga Alliance certified schools to learn about the best yoga breathing techniques.
Also Read: Best Yoga Training Course