Gajar ka halwa is a winter treat made with grated carrots that are beautifully roasted with milk and cardamom to make you dive deep into the sweet guilty pleasure. Undeniably, it is a perfect example of mother’s love and care.
In winters, the red, sweet carrots are found in abundance. Carrots are rich in Vitamin D, which is helpful in flushing out toxins from the body. Also, carrots are known to improve vision, and adding dry fruits to the halwa also increases the nutritional value of this delightful winter dessert.
8-9 medium juicy carrots
4 cups whole milk
4 tablespoon oil
10 – 12 tablespoon sugar
20 – 25 cashews
5 – 6 green cardamom/cardamom powder
1 pinch saffron strands
A handful of raisins and pistachios
- Wash gajar and peel its skin with the help of a peeler. Then grate it with a hand-held grater or in a food processor.
- Dry roasted cashews, raisins and pistachios on low heat until they turn crunchy. Set aside to cool and then chop them. You can also fry them in oil.
- Heat oil in a big kadai/pan and put grated carrot in it. Sauté the grated carrot on high flame for about 5 minutes. You can use canola oil for this as it is a high smoke point oil, ideal for sautéing purposes.
- Now add whole milk in the carrot and cook it on medium flame. Cook until the milk has evaporated completely. Keep stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder to the halwa. Still well. You can also make the powder with the help of mortar and pestle.
- As sugar would release a lot of moisture, cook until the moisture evaporates and the halwa thickens. Continue to cook until roasted to the desired color and consistency.
- Now add all the roasted nuts and crushed saffron to the halwa and mix it well. Switch off the burner.
- You can serve this delightful dessert hot or cold. You can even serve your winter relief with one scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Gazar ka halwa is a mouth-watering Indian dessert which tastes like a moist cardamom-flavored carrot cake crumble. It is the lifeline of any occasion during chilly weather. Gajar ka halwa made with Hudson Canola Oil is healthy as well as delicious and can make your winter worth enjoying.