Master the Art of Rajma Masala
The union of rajma and chawal is the most iconic and gratifying one in the North Indian cuisine. It is made in a base of onion-tomato masala along with other aromatic spices and herbs. The delightful recipe is served everywhere, from restaurants to streets. This rajma masala recipe is definitely a healthy dish.
For Pressure Cooking
3/4 cups red kidney beans (rajma)
3 – 4 cups water
For Making Rajma
2 tablespoons oil
1 small finely chopped onion
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 medium tomato pureed
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
Salt to taste
- Wash rajma under running water properly.
- Soak rajma in enough water overnight or for at least 8 hours. After soaking, it will get bigger in size.
- If you are using canned beans, there’s no need to soak or cook them under pressure. Just rinse under water and use them directly.
Pressure Cooking Beans
- Discard the soaking water and add beans to the pressure cooker with 1 1/2 cups of fresh water. Then close the lid and cook them.
- Cook them till one whistle on high flame. Then, reduce the flame to low and cook them for another 10 minutes.
- When the pressure of the cooker sets down, open the lid.
- Check if the rajma is cooked by pressing a bean or taking a bite. The cooking time may vary according to the type of your rajma, therefore cook accordingly.
Making Rajma Recipe
- Heat oil on medium heat in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add bay leaf and sauté for 30 seconds. You can use pure canola oil for this as it is the best oil for cooking purposes.
- Add finely chopped onions and sprinkle some salt. Cook the onions until they get translucent or light brown in color.
- Now, saute ginger and garlic paste for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree. Stir well and let it cook till all the moisture evaporates and starts leaving the masala. Keep on stirring in between to make sure it does not stick to the pan.
- Add all the spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, and garam masala. Mix well and cook for two minutes.
- Now it’s time to add boiled rajma.
- Stir the whole mixture properly and let it simmer for about 5-7 minutes or till the rajma curry thickens.
- Check the salt and other spices and switch off the flame.
- Serve rajma masala accompanied with steamed basmati rice or jeera rice.
Rajma masala is a creamy, tangy and spiced curry made with kidney beans. It is a perfect Sunday affair at home. Rajma masala made with Hudson Canola Oil can provide you with the most comforting and delicious meal.