Kidney Transplant Surgery is a procedure in which the damaged kidney of the patient is removed and replaced with the healthy kidney of the donor. Kidney transplant is usually done when both the kidneys of the patient have either failed or damaged. The transplanted kidney then takes over the body and follows all the functions that were fulfilled by the two damaged kidneys.
What causes Kidney Failure?
Kidneys are responsible for filtering the blood and extracting all the waste from the body through urine. Kidneys also help in maintaining electrolyte and body’s fluids balance. During kidney failure the waste builds up inside the body, interfering with the health as well as the urination of the patient.
People suffering from kidney failure undergo dialysis, a treatment in which the waste is mechanically filtered from the bloodstream. If the patient’s condition doesn’t seem to improve then he/she is considered to undergo a kidney transplantation surgery. The transplant frees the patient of the dependence of the dialysis machine which is a life-long commitment for kidney patients to stay alive, allowing them to lead a healthy active life.
What Causes Kidney Failure?
There are several reasons which can result in kidney failure, some of which include:
- High Blood Pressure
- Genetic Diseases
- Nephrotic Syndrome
- Urinary Tract Problems
- Drug Use
- Irregular Blood Flow in Kidney
Symptoms of Kidney Diseases
These are some common symptoms of chronic kidney dysfunction which should be taken seriously:
- Trouble Sleeping
- Trouble urinating
- Swelling in ankles or feet
- Nausea & Vomiting
- Lost Hunger
- Trouble Breathing
- Abdominal Pain
Kidney Transplant Surgery Cost
The cost of kidney transplant is usually above INR 6 lakh almost everywhere around the world. But it can vary depending on the complexities of a case from patient to patient.
However the cost for a kidney transplant can vary on several factors including:
- The availability of the kidney donor
- Preference of the hospital
- Time taken in the operation
- Instruments used for the surgery
- Number of Doctors required for operating the patient
- Days spent in the hospital
- Care required by the patient after the transplant
- Other miscellaneous reasons
Kidney Transplant Surgery Procedure
The surgery can be scheduled by your doctor if you receive a donor.
- The first foremost step is your blood and body checkup for the antibody test. Your surgery will be processed, if the result is negative. The kidney transplant is conducted under general anesthesia. The patient is put under medication to sleep throughout the surgery. The anesthetic is injected in the patient via arm or hand.
- Once the patient is unconscious, an incision is made in the patient’s abdomen and the donor’s kidney is placed in their body. Then the veins and arteries are connected on the kidney to ensure that it functions properly in its new proprietor’s body allowing the blood to flow in the new kidney. Then the kidney’s ureter is attached with the bladder so that the patient is able to urinate properly.
Note: In some cases the original kidney of the patient is left in their body, provided it is not interfering with the health of the patient.