How to get Company Registration Number or CIN in India
Do you want to know what is Company Registration Number? Where to get the number? And, how to get it? If yes, then you are on the right page. Here in this article, we will discuss – Company Registration Number (CRN) and how to get company registration number in India.
Company Registration Number or CRN is a unique number granted by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) during the company registration process. It will also be displayed on the public register next to the company information. This unique registration number is published on your COI or Certificate of Incorporation and also printed on all the official documentation of the company. It is an automatically generated registration number and there is no option to choose or change your CRN.
What is Company Registration Number India?
Company Registration Number is also known as Corporate/Company Identification Number or CIN, itis a 21 digit unique alphanumeric number issued under the Companies Act 2013 to every company which are registered officially.
- The first letter of the CIN symbolizes the status of the company whether it is U or L, ‘U’ stands for the unlisted company and ‘L’ stands for the listed company.
- Next 5 digits represent the Industry to which the company activities belong to. It symbolizes the type of company. Below are some of the examples of ROC industry codes used in Company Registration Number or CIN Numbers are as follows:
- For Hospitals: 85110
- For retail sale business: 52341
- General higher education: 80301
- Mineral water industries: 15543
- Production, supply and documentation of non-customized or ready-made software: 72211
- Real estate business on a contract or a fee basis: 70200
- Travel agencies activities such as tour operators; tourist assistance: 63040
- Freight or cargo transport by motor vehicles: 60231
- Fairy farming and Farming of cattle, horses, asses, mules and hinnies: 01211
- Next two digits of the CIN symbolizes in which state the company is registered officially. It is the code of the state tagged with the company after the registration process. For instance, if the company is registered in Tamil Nadu then the state code will be TN
- Next 4 digits of the registration number denote the year in which the company has been registered.
- Next 3 letters represent the type of ownership of the company. For instance., PLC for Public Limited Company, SGC for Company of State Government, NPL for Section 8 Company or Not for Profit Company, OPC for One person Company and so on
- The last 6 digit of the company registration number is the actual unique Registration Number of the company which is allocated by the ROC officially.
Importance of Company Registration Number in India or CIN
Company Registration Number is used to track all the activities and functions of a company from its incorporation by the Registrar of Companies or ROC. It is required to be displayed or submit on all the transactions and documentation with the respective State’s ROC.
As the 21 digit CIN number is very unique and has its own meaning which is easily convertible that helps in detecting all the basic information about the company. This unique number is used to get the primary details about the companies which are formally registered under MCA. It can be used for fingering or tracking companies for various levels of details which MCA/ROC holds.
How to check the Company Registration Number Online
Anyone can check the Company registration number, date of incorporation, type of company, accusations of a company, directors of the company, and so on from the official MCA site. Even the documents like balance sheets, annual returns documents and other official documents can also available on the website and you can get it by paying the appropriate fees.