A company is referred to as Section 8 Company when it registered as a Non-Profit Organization (NPO) i.e. when it has motive of promoting arts, commerce, education, charity, protection of environment, sports, science, research, social welfare, religion and intends to use its profits (if any) or other income for promoting these objectives.
The income of NPO can not be used for paying out dividends to the company’s members and has to be for the promotion of charitable objectives. Such companies obtain an incorporation certificate from the central government and are liable to adhere to the rules specified by the government.
Eligibility to Apply for Section 8 Company
An individual or an association of individuals are eligible to be registered as Section 8 Company if it holds below-mentioned intentions or objectives. The objectives have to be confirmed to the satisfaction of the Central Government.
- When the company intends to promote science, commerce, education, art, sports, research, religion, charity, social welfare, protection of the environment or alike other objectives;
- When the company holds an intention to invest all the profits (if any) or any other income generated after incorporation in the promotion of such objects only;
- When the company does not intend to pay any dividend to its members.
Incorporation of a Section 8 Company
Companies Act, 2013 deals with the procedure of Incorporation of a Section 8 Company and as per this section, an application in Form No. INC.12 has to be submitted along with below-mentioned documents to the Registrar of Companies.
Form no. INC – 13 – Company’s Draft Memorandum of Association (MOA) and Articles of association (AOA) in Form No. INC – 13 (as specified in Act) along with the affixation of subscribers’ photographs.
Form no. INC-14 – A Declaration is to be affixed in Form no. INC-14 that the draft MOA & AOA are compliant with the provisions & norms of section 8 and the requirements as per Section 8 have been duly taken care of.
Note: The declaration has to be made on stamp paper & should be notarized by an Advocate, a Company Secretary, a Chartered Accountant or a Cost Accountant, practising the profession.
Form no. INC-15 – A declaration in Form no. INC-15 on stamp paper & notarized by each member of the company who is applying.
Form no. INC-9 – Form no. INC-9 form first directors as well as each subscriber, on the relevant State’s stamp paper and appropriately notarized.
An estimation of the company’s future annual income and expenditure for the next three years, mentioning the sources of the income and the purpose of the expenditure.
Documents Requirement for the Registration of Section 8 Company
The Documents Requirement for the Registration of Section 8 Company in India
- Digital Signature Certificate
- Memorandum of Association
- Articles of Association
- Passport Size Photographs
- Members’ Id Proof such as Aadhar Card, Passport, Voter Id
- Details of Director (When the Members Are Other Companies/LLPs)
- Address Evidence
- Director Identification Number